Hi, Dee here.
You know I see alot of clients in my clinic for shoulder and neck pain related to playing golf. In fact besides the tennis ball therapy videos you have seen on our site here, this stretch is a staple for all our clients as a tool to improve posture, improve breathing, improve blood and nerve flow to the arm, and to allow better turn though the thoracic spine.
Give a try, and do it everyday for a better shoulder, neck and game!
Tyler and I are separately but together, traveling to providence to take the TPI Junior Level 3 certification… We will keep you posted along the way!
BTW- we will be two of forty professionals in the world to have this certification aftr this weekend!
Well, TPI Junior level 3 is done and once again we are leading the way in another category of golf fitness…Junio Golf.
You see, like we’ve said before, the state of junior golf is sad. Unfortuately, the ones who suffer the most are the kids.
It’s because the industry has prioritized a “pretty golf swing” instead of creating great athletes who become great golfers. Overzealous parents and golf …. Oops, sorry, got to get on my plane, you”ll just have to wait till my next post!
Sorry about that! When you have to get on a plane, you gotta get on!
So I carry on…
Overzealous parents and golf coaches and instructors contribute to the problem becuase they think because little Johnny can hit the ball 200+yds and straight at 9 yrs old, that he is going to be the next Tiger Woods. Of course this is just outright blasphemy!
Here’s the sad truth…
This information comes from Henry Brunton’s new book, “Journey to Excellence- The young golfers complete guide to achievement and personal growth.”
“Pro golf dreams by the numbers…”
-2.2 million: The number of junior golfers active in the US
-226,000: Juniors playing competitive golf
-5,500: Golfers playing at the NCAA Division 1 level
-446: Men and Women playing on the PGA and LPGA tours combined
Kind of discouraging huh? My biggest issue is I truley believe that every one of those numbers would be greater if the system tailored to the kids and their development and transistion from a ten to an 18 year old. Because guess what?
There is an extrodinary amount of changing going on with a junior golfer during that time that, if guided and coached correctly, will produce great athletic golfers…not burnt out, tired, “pretty swingers” who can’t PLAY the game.
So if you have a junior golfer, or are a coach, PLEASE prioritize their fitness while they grow up and develop. It is said to be a great golfer, it will take 20 years to learn and perfect, so if that’s the case, don’t rush!
Again, it’s like building a house, you need first, a strong foundation to build that big strong house that will last for years and years to come. So don’t just start building walls and putting in doors when there is no foundation to put them on…comprende’?
If you need help, Tyler and I are here, just contact us and we’ll be happy to assist you. After all, it WILL take a village to help your kid be the best golfer they can be! And in that case…consider us fellow villagers!
Here we go golf fans!
Another solid video for you to self mobilize for better performance!
Greetings golfers. I have been working on a correspondence course that was taking up a lot of my time and then throw in some travel and suddenly a month has gone by. I want to thank Dee for picking up the slack. And I will try not to leave you wanting for so long again but hopefully this post will allow the healing process to begin.
So the question I’m answering came from a guy named Jay. He asked, “How do I keep my left wrist flat through out the swing?”
I’m glad I had a month off because there is a lot to cover in this post. There is one assumption here that I need to take care of first – the assumption is that we want to KEEP our LEAD WRIST FLAT throughout the swing. After analyzing lots of tour pro’s lead wrist graphs, I can tell you that not one that I have ever looked at keeps his left wrist flat during the swing. I will have to make a youtube video to demonstrate what they do, but I promise you that we don’t want to keep it flat. That being said, the left wrist should be flat (well, flattish) during the release so instead of being difficult I will answer the question, “how do we keep our left wrist flat throughout the release?”
There is a common pattern on tour that shows the lead wrist going through a well sequenced series of movement to maximize speed at the point of contact. This patter is the lead wrist finishes the backswing in a hinged, pronated, and slightly extended position. The first thing to change is that the left wrist goes from extended to flexed. It will basically continue flexing all the way to just past impact for most players. About halfway down, the wrist will begin to unhinge and then it will supinate hard through impact. Ok, lets put this in practical English that might help you.
If you take a normal neutral grip then it it is impossible to have your right wrist and your left wrist flat at the same time. So interestingly, if you want to make sure that your left wrist is flat, then you have to make sure that your right wrist is NEVER flat (the only exception is if you let go of your right hand at impact like Vijay…but you’re not Vijay, so hang on to the club if you can). If you scoop through impact, then your right wrist will be flat and therefore your left wrist will be cupped. So if you have your left writ flat then your clubface will be closed compared to where you started at set up. That means that your body can’t be in the same position at impact that it was at set up or else your left wrist being flat would cause a hook. So to make sure that your wrist is flat, you really have to make sure that your body has turned through impact. Imagine that you are Iron Man and you have a bright light shinning out of your chest. At impact, that light should be pointed well out in front of the golf ball. By turning your chest you will be able to have the left wrist flat, strike down on the ball, and not hit a hook.
Stay tuned for the video explaining that train of thought.
Good luck Jay, and thanks for the question!
So here is the much awaited video explaining the last post.
THANK GOD! Someone with credibility is coming out to say what I have been saying for over 5 years now!
John Hopkins Update
AFTER YEARS OF TELLING PEOPLE CHEMOTHERAPY IS THE ONLY WAY TO TRY (’TRY’, BEING THE KEY WORD) TO ELIMINATE CANCER, JOHNS HOPKINS IS FINALLY STARTING TO TELL YOU THERE IS AN ALTERNATIVE WAY.
Cancer Update from Johns Hopkins :
1. Every person has cancer cells in the body. These cancer cells do not show up in the standard tests until they have multiplied to a few billion. When doctors tell cancer patients that there are no more cancer cells in their bodies after treatment, it just means the tests are unable to detect the cancer cells because they have not reached the detectable size.
2. Cancer cells occur between 6 to more than 10 times in a person’s lifetime.
3 When the person’s immune system is strong the cancer cells will be destroyed and prevented from multiplying and forming tumors.
4. When a person has cancer it indicates the person has multiple nutritional deficiencies. These could be due to genetic, environmental, food and lifestyle factors.
5. To overcome the multiple nutritional deficiencies, changing diet and including supplements will strengthen the immune system.
6. Chemotherapy involves poisoning the rapidly-growing cancer cells and also destroys rapidly-growing healthy cells in the bone marrow, gastrointestinal tract etc, and can cause organ damage, like liver, kidneys, heart, lungs etc.
7. Radiation while destroying cancer cells also burns, scars and damages healthy cells, tissues and organs.
8. Initial treatment with chemotherapy and radiation will often reduce tumor size. However prolonged use of chemotherapy and radiation do not result in more tumor destruction.
9. When the body has too much toxic burden from chemotherapy and radiation the immune system is either compromised or destroyed, hence the person can succumb to various kinds of infections and complications.
10. Chemotherapy and radiation can cause cancer cells to mutate and become resistant and difficult to destroy. Surgery can also cause cancer cells to spread to other sites.
11. An effective way to battle cancer is to starve the cancer cells by not feeding it with the foods it needs to multiply..
*CANCER CELLS FEED ON:
a. Sugar is a cancer-feeder. By cutting off sugar it cuts off one important food supply to the cancer cells. Sugar substitutes like NutraSweet, Equal, Spoonful, etc are made with Aspartame and it is harmful. A better natural substitute would be Manuka honey or molasses, but only in very small amounts. Table salt has a chemical added to make it white in color. Better alternative is Bragg’s aminos or sea salt.
b. Milk causes the body to produce mucus, especially in the gastro-intestinal tract. Cancer feeds on mucus. By cutting off milk and substituting with unsweetened soy milk cancer cells are being starved.
c. Cancer cells thrive in an acid environment. A meat-based diet is acidic and it is best to eat fish, and a little chicken rather than beef or pork. Meat also contains livestock antibiotics, growth hormones and parasites, which are all harmful, especially to people with cancer.
d. A diet made of 80% fresh vegetables and juice, whole grains, seeds, nuts and a little fruits help put the body into an alkaline environment. About 20% can be from cooked food including beans. Fresh vegetable juices provide live enzymes that are easily absorbed and reach down to cellular levels within 15 minutes to nourish and enhance growth of healthy cells. To obtain live enzymes for building healthy cells try and drink fresh vegetable juice (most vegetables including bean sprouts) and eat some raw vegetables 2 or 3 times a day. Enzymes are destroyed at temperatures of 104 degrees F (40 degrees C).
e. Avoid coffee, tea, and chocolate, which have high caffeine. Green tea is a better alternative and has cancer fighting properties. Water-best to drink purified water, or filtered, to avoid known toxins and heavy metals in tap water. Distilled water is acidic, avoid it.
12. Meat protein is difficult to digest and requires a lot of digestive enzymes. Undigested meat remaining in the intestines becomes putrefied and leads to more toxic buildup.
13. Cancer cell walls have a tough protein covering. By refraining from or eating less meat it frees more enzymes to attack the protein walls of cancer cells and allows the body’s killer cells to destroy the cancer cells.
14. Some supplements build up the immune system (IP6, Flor-ssence, Essiac, anti-oxidants, vitamins, minerals, EFAs etc.) to enable the bodies own killer cells to destroy cancer cells.. Other supplements like vitamin E are known to cause apoptosis, or programmed cell death, the body’s normal method of disposing of damaged, unwanted, or unneeded cells.
15. Cancer is a disease of the mind, body, and spirit. A proactive and positive spirit will help the cancer warrior be a survivor. Anger, un-forgiveness and bitterness put the body into a stressful and acidic environment. Learn to have a loving and forgiving spirit. Learn to relax and enjoy life.
16. Cancer cells cannot thrive in an oxygenated environment. Exercising daily, and deep breathing help to get more oxygen down to the cellular level. Oxygen therapy is another means employed to destroy cancer cells.
1. No plastic containers in micro.
2. No water bottles in freezer.
3. No plastic wrap in microwave.
Johns Hopkins has recently sent this out in its newsletters. This information is being circulated at Walter Reed Army Medical Center as well. Dioxin chemicals cause cancer, especially breast cancer. Dioxins are highly poisonous to the cells of our bodies. Don’t freeze your plastic bottles with water in them as this releases dioxins from the plastic. Recently, Dr. Edward Fujimoto, Wellness Program Manager at Cast le Hospital, was on a TV program to explain this health hazard. He talked about dioxins and how bad they are for us. He said that we should not be heating our food in the microwave using plastic containers. This especially applies to foods that contain fat. He said that the combination of fat, high heat, and plastics releases dioxin into the food and ultimately into the cells of the body. Instead, he recommends using glass, such as Corning Ware, Pyrex or ceramic containers for heating food You get the same results, only without the dioxin. So such things as TV dinners, instant ramen and soups, etc., should be removed from the container and heated in something else. Pa per isn’t bad but you don’t know what is in the paper. It’s just safer to use tempered glass, Corning Ware, etc. He reminded us that a while ago some of the fast food restaurants moved away from the foam containers to paper. The dioxin problem is one of the reasons.
Also, he pointed out that plastic wrap, such as Saran, is just as dangerous when placed over foods to be cooked in the microwave. As the food is nuked, the high heat causes poisonous toxins to actually melt out of the plastic wrap and drip into the food. Cover food with a paper towel instead.
This is an article that should be sent to anyone important in your life.
Dee here again…and yes, I know the last post might have seemed a little depressing, but it’s the truth, and the “Truth shall set you free,” (and that is true as well)!
Now, knowing today is the “official sugar day” here in our country, I thought I’d provide you with more information about the dangers of sugar and why you should limit your and your kids consumption of it!
Here are some ideas to prevent mass quantities from being consumed!
1. I “made a deal” with my kids. We asked if they wanted three pcs of candy or “give up” their candy for a new toy. They chose the new toy!
2. Tell them right now, and a few more times today how it’s going to work tonight. Example- “kids, now I know it’s fun to get a lot of candy, but when you get home you only get two or three pcs, one tomorrow and one the next day. The rest is going to get thrown away…ok?”
3. Explain to the older ones the article, or better yet, let them read it to understand your decision about the candy.
4. Scare them with the truth! Tell them how bad sugar and candy is for them! Use the ol’ “your teeth will fall out; you can get real sick” etc.
5. Lay down the law…period. In our house, our kids (who are 3 and 5) know that they are not allowed to eat a lot of sugar…they just do. So be the parent and lay it down!
So try these tecniques, read the article and have fun tonight without all the junk!